People walk past a banner portraying US-Israeli attacks on Iran in Tehran. Photo: AFP
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday, May 22, that Washington is preparing a “Plan B” if Iran refuses to keep the Strait of Hormuz open, while insisting that diplomatic efforts with Tehran are still making progress.
Speaking on ongoing negotiations, Rubio said the United States aims to reach an agreement that would ensure free navigation through the strategic waterway and require Iran to abandon its nuclear programme, Reuters reported.
“We want to reach an agreement with Iran that includes opening the Strait of Hormuz and abandoning its nuclear programme,” Rubio said.
However, he cautioned that talks had not yet reached a final stage. “I think there has been progress on Iran, but we are not close to the end yet,” he added.
Rubio warned that Washington was preparing an alternative strategy if talks fail. “We must have a backup plan in case Iran refuses to open the Strait of Hormuz,” he said.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important shipping routes for global oil and gas supplies.
Rubio said Pakistan was playing a major role in coordination efforts related to Iran. “We coordinate with several countries, but Pakistan is the main player in coordinating on Iran,” he said.
Rubio also said there had been no specific request for NATO assistance regarding the Strait of Hormuz. He added that efforts by France and United Kingdom on Hormuz security would only succeed if a ceasefire is reached.
An Axios correspondent quoted a Pakistani security source as saying that Asim Munir was travelling to Tehran in an effort to broker an agreement between Iran and the United States to end the war.
According to the report, Pakistan has emerged as the main mediator in discussions aimed at securing a ceasefire and restarting wider negotiations involving Iran’s nuclear programme and maritime security in the Gulf.
This post was last modified on May 22, 2026 9:54 pm