
US President Donald Trump is considering fresh military action against Iran if ongoing negotiations fail to produce a breakthrough, according to multiple American media reports on Saturday, May 23, the 85th day of the American-Israeli war on Iran.
Axios reported that Trump convened senior national security officials on Friday morning to assess diplomatic efforts and review possible scenarios if talks collapse. Vice President JD Vance, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth and CIA Director John Ratcliffe were among those present at the meeting.
Sources cited by Axios said the administration still sees a possible window for progress within the next 24 hours.
The Wall Street Journal, citing US officials, reported that Trump told aides he wanted to allow more time for diplomacy, although he has not ruled out military action if negotiations fail.
White House spokeswoman Carolyn Levitt told CBS News that the president was “keeping all options open”, while administration officials said the Pentagon remains ready to carry out any directive issued by Trump.
CBS reported that US defence and intelligence agencies have begun updating overseas recall rosters as contingency planning intensifies. Some military personnel reportedly cancelled Memorial Day weekend plans amid expectations of possible developments.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said Iran would never be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon and claimed recent US military operations had reinforced deterrence.
“Iran is dying to make a deal,” Trump said, while also praising what he described as the strength of the US military.
Trump later cancelled weekend travel plans to New Jersey, citing official responsibilities requiring him to remain in Washington.
Tehran rejects US position on enriched uranium
Iranian officials indicated that negotiations would fail if Washington insists on limitations involving Tehran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said discussions would not succeed if talks shifted towards detailed negotiations over Iran’s uranium reserves, according to IRNA and Reuters.
Baghaei also confirmed that a Qatari delegation was meeting Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran, while reiterating that Pakistan remains the primary mediator.
Pakistan continues mediation between Washington and Tehran
Baghaei said the visit of Pakistan Army chief General Asim Munir to Tehran should not be interpreted as evidence of a decisive breakthrough.
Tasnim News, which is affiliated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, quoted a source close to the negotiating team as saying limited progress had been achieved, although major disagreements remain unresolved.
According to the source, current discussions are centred on ending the conflict, while Pakistani mediators continue exchanging messages between both sides.
Iran raises objections in talks with UN chief
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that Washington’s “excessive demands” remain the principal obstacle to diplomatic progress.
An Iranian Foreign Ministry statement cited by Tasnim said Guterres stressed the importance of diplomacy and opposed the use of force against national sovereignty.
Separately, Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, Amir-Saeid Iravani, called on Gulf countries and Jordan to compensate Tehran for losses resulting from what he described as unlawful actions against Iran.
Qatar backs efforts to prevent escalation
Qatar has expanded its diplomatic role alongside Pakistan as negotiations continue.
Abdulla Banndar Al-Etaibi, assistant professor at Qatar University, said Doha’s involvement reflects the sensitivity of the current phase and the need to preserve communication channels.
He said unresolved issues include the future of the Strait of Hormuz, uranium enrichment limits and guarantees linked to de-escalation efforts.
Al-Etaibi warned that failure to secure an initial agreement could trigger wider regional escalation.
Hezbollah claims drone interception
Hezbollah said it intercepted an Israeli “Heron 1” drone over eastern Lebanon’s Bekaa region using a surface-to-air missile.
The group also claimed responsibility for targeting Israeli troop positions in Maroun al-Ras in southern Lebanon.
Israeli strikes target area near Tyre
AFP reported that Israeli strikes hit buildings near the southern Lebanese city of Tyre overnight following evacuation warnings issued by the Israeli military.
Residents reported hearing two explosions after the attacks.
Conflict pressures global economies
Reuters reported that 27 countries have approached the World Bank for emergency financial assistance as the conflict continues to affect global markets.
According to an internal document seen by the agency, rising fuel prices, fertiliser shortages and supply chain disruptions are increasing economic pressure on several countries.
Kenya and Iraq are among the states seeking urgent support.
Reuters said many governments appear to favour World Bank assistance over International Monetary Fund programmes, which are often linked to austerity conditions.
The World Bank previously said its crisis-response framework could provide up to USD100 billion in assistance over time.