Shawarma joint in Hyderabad shut down after 17 fall ill

Grill House manager Taufiq has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Hyderabad: A Shawarma joint in Hyderabad was shut down after 17 people fell ill after consuming Shawarma mixed with mayonnaise. The victims experienced symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and other severe health issues after consuming shawarma at Grill House in Alwal.

Subhan Bakery Instagram

The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) confirmed that the victims’ blood tests revealed the presence of harmful salmonella bacteria, emphasizing the urgency of addressing the situation.

GHMC officials confirmed that food contamination was the cause of the widespread illness. The Shawarma joint in Hyderabad was booked based on a complaint filed by the Food Safety Officer (FSO) Lakshmikant under sections 273 and 269 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

MS Education Academy

Grill House manager Taufiq has been arrested in connection with the incident. However, the owner of the restaurant managed to shut the shop and escape before the police could lay their hands on him.

The root cause of the contamination at the Shawarma joint in Hyderabad was linked to the consumption of mayonnaise, a condiment commonly used in dishes like Shawarma, kebabs, pizzas, burgers, and sandwiches, said GHMC officials.

Mayonnaise, typically prepared with egg yolk, lemon juice, and oil, poses a risk when hygiene standards are compromised during preparation.

GHMC FSO Lakshmikant cautioned that even properly prepared mayonnaise should be consumed within four hours, as extended storage could result in contamination and illness.

Back to top button